The Curlew Pioneer Cemetery is the final resting place for many local founders of this area, as well as most of the founders of Curlew United Methodist Church and their families.
The Sanctuary in which we are currently worshiping, the fourth building, was completed in 1969, just in time for our 100th Anniversary!
Sutton Hall was named after John A. Sutton, who organized the original church, donated the land upon which the church is built, and gave the timber with which the original building was raised. His only request was that he be allowed to name the church.
He named it after the beautiful pink or white Curlew birds which were in abundance on the west coast of Florida in 1869. Since that time, Curlew Road and Curlew Creek, as well as the surrounding area, have taken their names from the church.